When life gets busy and crazy with a never-ending to-do list usually I tend to roll up my sleeves and get on the treadmill and keep going and going and going. It takes a while for me to realize I have gone too far over the edge. Yesterday, I thought about working out. Hmmmm how long has it been? Over a week…No wonder I am feeling lethargic and tense. Really, I know the fact is, the busier I am, the more I need to be aware of what it takes to keep me functioning – physically and emotionally. Just like I need to set up routines in my life to make sure the dishes are done every day and people have food to eat, I must have some routines in place to keep me balanced and energized. Everyone is different. For me I need to do these things every day!!
- Breathe– When I am tense, my breathing gets shallow and fast. I need to be consistent with practicing slow rhythmic breathing. Just 5 min several times a day on being conscious of this will keep me relaxed and thinking clearer.
- Movement– Take a walk, put on music and dance, or swim every day releases tension and keeps my heart healthy.
- Laughing– Actually, I have done well with this one. Living with someone with dementia keeps me laughing quite a bit. Some situations you really have to either laugh or cry.
- Fun– For me this is essential, but often neglected. I did take a day to go to the water park. I was able to have fun on many levels with daughters and grands. Fun with a two yo, watching joy at every splash, fun with the pre-teens on the slides and wave pool, and relaxing rocking the baby to sleep. Not every day can be a water park day, but fun is important to be found anywhere.
- Loving– Sometimes I get to busy to love or be loved. It is funny, but I do have to be conscious of this. Just to stop and let the love all around me soak in or to look a loved one in the eyes and communicate my love to them.
I know if I have these things in each day, my life will be richer and more rewarding. The things that annoy me will not be so important and I will actually accomplish more than if I neglect these things.
How about you, what life essentials do you need to implement in your days and how do you make sure to do them?
Ok, now I am off for a walk in this quite unusual July rain!! Exercise and fun combined— Yipppeee!!